A Comprehensive Guide to
Penile Implant Types
Over 90% of men who have opted for a penile implant have resumed an active and successful sex life...
Semi-Rigid Malleable Penile Implant
The semi-rigid malleable (flexible) penile implant is the simplest and least expensive impotence device currently available.
The semi-rigid penile implant consists of two rods that are surgically implanted inside the penis.
Depending on the manufacturer, the rods have an outer coating of silicone, high-density plastic or polyethylene, with a series of positionable segments, along with a metal core. These segments allow for more flexibility of movement.
The result of this type of penile implant is a permanent erection that can be re-positioned as required.
During sexual activity, the penis is straightened, afterwards it can be bent downwards close to the body for concealment.
Benefits of the Semi-Rigid Malleable Penile Implant
- The semi-rigid malleable penile implant is the simplest surgical procedure.
- Insertion of the implant can usually be done during day surgery or as an outpatient.
- The penile implant is easy to use and has no mechanical parts.
- Romantic spontaneity is not affected because there is no waiting time for the penis to become erect.
- It is the least expensive type of penile implant.
Semi-Rigid Malleable Penile Implant Precautions
- The penis remains erect at all times, even when it is resting against the body, so concealment under tight clothing may be considered a problem for some men.
- The recovery time is usually 4 to 6 weeks. Many men experience severe penile pain during the recovery period. Medical specialists recommend that all sexual activity be avoided during this period.
- The semi-rigid malleable penile implant does not alter or enhance the length or width of the penis.
Two-Piece Inflatable Penile Implant
The two-piece inflatable penile implant consists of two hollow cylinders which are surgically inserted into the penis. A small pump is inserted into the scrotum.
By gently squeezing the scrotum several times, the pump transfers fluid into the cylinders inside the penis, causing the cylinders to inflate and create an erection.
The fluid in the cylinders can be transferred back into the reservoir by gently bending the penis downwards for about 10 seconds.
Benefits of the Two-Piece Inflatable Penile Implant
- The two-piece inflatable penile implant creates a natural looking erection.
- The penile implant enables the penis to return to a flaccid state and makes concealment easier.
- The surgical procedure to insert the two-piece device is relatively simple and usually only requires day surgery, or as an outpatient.
Two-Piece Inflatable Penile Implant Precautions
- The two-piece inflatable penile implant has more components than the semi-rigid malleable implant. Therefore, there is a greater risk of post-surgical complications.
- The recovery period is usually 4 to 6 weeks. Many men report severe penile and abdominal pain during the recovery period. It is recommended that sexual activity not resume until after the recovery phase is over.
Three-Piece Inflatable Penile Implant
The three-piece inflatable penile implant has three components. Like the two-piece inflatable implant, the three-piece penile implant has two hollow cylinders that are surgically implanted into the penis.
A small pump and valve are inserted into the scrotum to transfer fluid into the cylinders, which causes them to inflate and produce an erection.
The third component is a small reservoir containing a sterile solution that is inserted into the lower abdomen. This fluid is pumped into the cylinders in the penis via a series of tubes inside the body.
When the erection is no longer required, the release valve inserted in the scrotum is gently squeezed torelease the fluid back into the reservoir located in the lower abdomen.
Benefits of the Three-Piece Inflatable Penile Implant
- The three-piece inflatable penile implant creates the most authentic looking erection.
- There is no waiting time required, so romantic spontaneity is not lost.
- The device is simple to use and enables the penis to return to a flaccid state after sexual activity has ceased.
Three-Piece Inflatable Penile Implant Precautions
- The three-piece inflatable penile implant is more complex than the two-piece inflatable implant or the semi-rigid malleable implant. Therefore, the surgical procedure is more involved and the risk of failure for one of the components is higher.
- Because of the more complex function of the three-piece inflatable penile implant, the cost for the surgical procedure is higher.
- The recovery period is usually 4 to 6 weeks. Many men report severe penile and abdominal pain during the recovery period. It is advisable to avoid any form of sexual activity during recovery.
For more information about impotence and other impotence treatments, we suggest you visit these pages: